23 May, 2012

Cranberry Maple Granola


It is my birthday this week, and ever since I was a little girl I have always insisted on having a special breakfast for my birthday. Lately I've been on a granola kick, trying a new recipe every week or so, looking for that ultimate granola. I want chunky, sweet-salty, nutty granola. Oats dressed in that seductive lightly toasted almond brown. Well, I finally found it, my friends. I finally found my perfect granola.

It is my pleasure to share my birthday breakfast with you, my cranberry maple granola. Which turned out perfect in so many ways. It is the melt in your mouth, candy coated, crunchy and flavorful dream of granola. 

The recipe was drafted with Alton Brown's Granola in mind.





Ingredients:
  • 3 cups Rolled Oats
  • 1 cup Slivered Almonds
  • 1 cup Halved Pecans
  • 3/4 cup Shredded Coconut
  • 1/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup & 2 Tbs Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 cup Dried Cranberries
     
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven 250 F. 
  2. Combine in a large bowl the Oats, Almonds, Pecans, Coconut, and Brown Sugar.
  3. In liquid measuring cup or small bowl comine the Maple Syrup, Vegetable Oil, and Salt.
  4. Pour the liquid mixture over the oats and mix until evenly coated. 
  5. Spread out over two baking sheets, preferably with raised sides.
  6. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned, tease the granola several times with a spatula over that time to ensure even baking.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool before combining with the Cranberries. Store in airtight container or bag.
This granola is heavenly with dried cherries, or blueberries. Go ahead and try it with any fruit you like!

No comments: