06 November, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Waffles (for two)

Raisins are one item everybody has lying around and one thing I don't use often enough. I love them in raisin cream pie, and sometime in my oatmeal for breakfast. But I'm picky and I don't favor them in granola, trail mix, and most of the time I don't even enjoy them in cookies.


However, when I get a nice plump warm raisin in a fresh oatmeal cookie I feel happy, and when I bite into a succulent sweet fruity raisin in a custard cream pie I also feel happy. Enter, the oatmeal raisin waffle. Very good with maple syrup or vanilla yogurt.

Makes 2-3 hearty belgian waffles

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. oats
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbs. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2/3 c. raisins
  • 1 tsp. lemon zest or chopped candied lemon
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. Oil
In a medium small bowl combine the oats, flour, sugar, backing powder,  raisins and lemon. Mix to combine, then add the egg, milk, and oil. Stir only until the lumps are broken, over mixing will result in dense waffles. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes, so that the oats soften a little, then cook in a greased and preheated waffle iron. My iron cooks them off in about 4 minutes, but cook times will vary.



No comments: